Home | Contact Me | Search


Set as Homepage
Bookmark Me
  Search Site
Latest News
Print this Page Print Page

Corporal John Lynn Davies


Harrogate Herald - 17th October 1917

Roll of Honour

Corporal John Lynn Davies (West Yorks), son of Mrs Davies, of Old Town, formerly of Shaw Mills, near Harrogate, succumbed on September 19th to injuries in the neck, left side and left leg (compound fracture) caused by a shell. The first warning was a telegram on Saturday morning station that Corporal Davies was dangerously wounded at No 10 Casualty Clearing Station, in France. This was confirmed by the Infantry Records Office, York. Sister H C Paynter wrote that Davies died at 4.45pm on the 19th. He was brought in during the night, and was never conscious, so did not suffer. Chaplain H S Clarke sent a message revealing the gallant cheerfulness of the young soldier, and the brave but futile sacrifice of another soldier in the effort to save his life : "I am so sorry to have to tell you of the death of your son, Corporal J Davies, here this afternoon. He was brought in last night, terribly wounded in neck and legs. He had not much blood, and the only chance was to resort to transfusion. A healthy man volunteered to give him a quart or so of blood. It was injected into your son, and then a necessary operation took place. I saw your son this morning - wonderfully cheery and brave, even joking with his doctor, a wonderfully clever man, about his 'sea-sickness', as he called it. He told me to write and give you his love, and to tell you not to worry. He said he would write soon. He did not know, poor boy, how terribly ill he was. I know you will try to fulfill his dying wish, hard though it be. May God help you....I gave your boy this little crucifix. He kissed it very earnestly and asked me to send it to you. You will value it, I know. He will be buried tomorrow in the soldiers' beautiful cemetery near here, Lijeenthoch, two miles west of Poperinghe. Assuring you of my real sympathy, God help and comfort you".

Parkinson [sic] Joined the Army in September, 1914, almost as soon as he was 19 years old, and then was a silk dresser at Shaw Mills and was in the Wesleyan Church Choir. He went to France in June, 1915. A younger brother, Private Victor William Davies (Northumberland Fusiliers), died in March last.